Monday, January 19, 2009

Nick and Mom day in Seattle



Nick and I both had today off in recognition of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. We had been talking for awhile about spending the day in Seattle. So today, we did! Ward did not have the day off, so it was just Nick and me. We got kindof a late start and had to make sure we were on the road back home by 3:00 pm. So we didn't have a full day, but we had a good couple of hours to bum around. It may have been foggy here, but in Seattle, it was a bright sunshiny day. A beautiful Seattle day! Our first stop was the market, where we explored all the little funny shops. Nick spent the most time in a baseball card & coin collection shop. He talked me in to buying him two stamp-signed rookie baseball cards of "someone" - I don't even know. The old man behind the counter knocked off a few dollars from the price and assured me I was getting a 'deal'. He also said my son has good taste in baseball cards! We hung around the fish stand trying to see if we could catch the guys throwing the fish around, but we weren't there at the right time and never saw that. Next, we went to that little park that overlooks the sound on the North end of the market and just looked at the beautiful scenery. The Olympics were out in full, but somewhat hazy force today. This is the only picture I managed to take, and it is supposed to look like NIck is holding up the totem pole. After the market, we wandered thru Post Alley and totally ruined our lunch appetite by eating too many baked goodies offered along the way. Then we made our way down to the waterfront to check out some of the nifty shops down that way. Then Nick got his caricature drawn by this crusty old British guy. We could barely understand him!! I wanted to say, "speak English!", but he was!!! His process was he took a picture and then drew the cartoon body and scenery around it. I didn't realize he did not draw the cartoon face too. Thats what I wanted. But this was cute and NIck had fun. After that, we only had one hour left and Nick still wanted to go to the Seattle Center. In particular, he wanted to ride the monorail and go to that Food Circus thing. So, we high tailed it up a jillion stairs and up to Westlake center where we caught the monorail and made it to Seattle Center just in time for him to eat a Subway Sandwich (all the cool places to eat in Seattle and this is what he picks!) and then head back to the monorail. We made it to our car and were on I-5 by 3:00 sharp! All in all it was a really fun, but too short, day. A great mom & me thing.

3 comments:

Rusting away in Washington said...

So fun! Nice day to spend in Seattle!
I'm painting in Lukes room, It's comming along!

Scott, Teresa and Gabby said...

Sounds like a great way to spend a day off!

Gramma Carol said...

Awwww...I love this! You are a great ma. And that's one half of why he's a great kid!