Sunday, July 20, 2008

My Virgin Baker!!


I know this seems weird, but I made my first solo attempt at baked potatoes tonight for dinner. They turned out really good!  Nick loved them and wants me to bake some up tomorrow too.  I honest to goodness cannot remember e-v-e-r baking potatoes all by myself before.  Now, I certainly know people who have baked their own spuds.... I've just never done it.  Never been a huge fan of the starchy tuber.  When offered baked, mashed or fried, I always opt for the cole slaw.

So, how did we get on to this?  Well, Nick stayed the weekend with an old friend from Mill Creek.  They had a blast and went 'tubing' on Lake  Sammamish. The friends' mom made steak & baked potatoes for dinner.  Nick of course wouldn't touch the steak, but loved the baker.  I went to the store and selected some big fat Russets and googled the best baker recipe I could find.  I was going to wrap them in foil, but learned that that just steams them.  I washed them, rubbed them with olive oil, and rolled them in this herb infused rock salt that I have.  Then I poked holes in them with a fork and baked them for 1 hour at 375.  YUMMMMM!   Good stuff. We ate them with butter, cheddar cheese, sour cream, and little green onions.   

Carole and Devin came over.  Carole couldn't believe that I had never baked a potato before and laughed at the notion of me "googling a recipe" for baked taters.   

I am adding "Baked Potatoes" to the list of things that I can cook!  Right up there with Mac & Cheese.  

Have a good week!!

5 comments:

Gramma Carol said...

Good for you, Girl! I love that baked potato recipe...olive oil and rock salt. I bet that was delicious. The only difference for me is that I like them with crumbled bacon and no cheddar.

Next time you go out, try the Cheesecake Factory's Chicken Madeira. You might not like it cause it doesn't taste like anchovies, but I bet even Pick-Nick would enjoy it.

Christina Johnson said...

WooHoo!!!

Ward Kaatz said...

the potato was yummy!

Scott, Teresa and Gabby said...

Sounds good! I've never made them with oil and salt on the outside. I'll have to try that next time.

Gramma Carol said...

I tried the oil/salt thing. All I got was a salty potato. From now on, you are in charge of the baked potatoes.